Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Magic of Biltmore

I can't believe it has been a week since I visited the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. What an amazing trip it was. The gals and I toured the entire house and also went on a private tour. When we first got there and rounded the corner heading towards the house my eyes popped out of my head. The size of the Biltmore  was breathtaking. It was so much grander than I thought it was going to be. Amazing!! The tour was fascinating and I couldn't stop asking the guides question after question. On the private tour we learned so much about George Vanderbilt, his wife Edith, and the friends and family that stayed and or visited the house. They had clothes that they would have worn during that period and they were amazing. I couldn't believe how tiny the woman's waists and feet were back then.
And you know I couldn't go on a trip and not stop at an antique mall. We stopped at the Antique Tobacco Barn. This place was huge and it was raining, cold, and had no heat. But it was worth it. Once my junkin adrenalin started pumping I warmed up a bit. If you are in Asheville it is a great place to rummage thru. From tables of milk glass to vintage Christmas decorations. Large scale Christmas deco.:) Quite amazing.
This was a well needed trip that invigorated and inspired me.
Just Magical




I loved these mischievous little characters
I was the most inspired by Edith and George Vanderbilt's daughter Cornelia. Something about her elegance spoke to me. She is going to be my muse for this springs new joyajewelry line for sure! Photo Credit: Biltmore House Museum
A dream vision for a milk glass lover like myself!




The only heated area in what I think was 77,000 square feet of antiques! We huddled together :)

No comments: