Sunday, March 1, 2009

Inspiration




February and March have always been the months of the year that get me feeling a little antsy, creative wise. I have all these ideas for a new spring jewelry line swirling in my head but feel like I have no time to follow through with it. Working a day job and then coming home to get in the mind frame, you wish you could be in all day, is hard. But I have to vow to myself to find the inner crafter and run with it. Ok, enough about the pity party and more about being inspired.
Lately, I cannot get enough of Jane Austen. The movies old and new and of course her novels. I just re-read "Persuasion" and can't help but feel inspired with love lost and found. The pastel colors that come to mind when Austen describes the scenery of the time. Blues, pale pinks, and the way I envision the light surrounding the English gardens and her heroin Anne Elliot as she searches for love once more. Austen's characters are so flawed yet rich with life. That is what I am trying to embrace in my jewelry. Wearable art that tells a story. The vintage pieces I so happily find in all the antiquing I do will some how come together in this romantic way and become someone else's story.
"Who can be in doubt of what followed? When any two young people take it into their head to marry, they are pretty sure by perseverance to carry their point, be they ever so poor, or ever so imprudent, or ever so little likely to be necessary to each other's ultimate comfort. This may be bad morality to conclude with, but I believe it to be truth; and if such parties succeed, how should a Captain Wentworth and an Anne Elliot, with the advantage of maturity of mind, consciousness of right, and one independent fortune between them, fail of bearing down every opposition? They might in fact, have borne down a great deal more than they met with, for there was little to distress them beyond the want of graciousness and warmth."
Jane Austen "Persuasion"

No comments: